I come from an extremely eclectic background, as do many hypnotherapists. I first qualified as a therapist in 1989 and was almost instantaneously successful - for the first time in my life, in fact, because before that I was what can be best described as a serial poor-achiever, in spite of monumental efforts.
Those efforts included: TV engineer, electronics design, tailor, carpet-layer, computer programmer, furniture shop assistant, factory hand, salesman (fire extinguishers and alarms) and part time rock 'n' roller (lead guitar)... some of those 'callings' overlapping with my life as a professional ballroom and latin-american dancer, running my own school for some thirty years.
I discovered the world of hypnotherapy by accident but took to it instantly and at 48 years old suddenly realised that I had most definitely found my niche!
Since that time, I have lectured extensively at home and abroad, published a few books, written several manuals and training courses, and made far more friends than enemies - all of which has been the most enormously rewarding and enliberating experience.
Current and past memberships
I am proud to be a Freeman of the City of London as well as the following:
First in the profession...
In October 2007 I was privileged to be the first person from any of the psychotherapy-related professions to be achieve the level of 'MCGI' - Member of the City and Guilds Institute. This is deemed to be comparable to a British Masters degree.
The MCGI was awarded for my work on the creation and implementation of a specialist hypnotherapist course in psychosexual disorders.
If you wish to read it, you can download my presented thesis as a pdf file (260kb).
Terence Watts at the MCGI Award ceremony in 2007
I am currently:
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
- Founder/Chairman: Association for Professional Hypnosis & Psychotherapy (Est. 1999)
- Principal: Essex Institute of Clinical Hypnosis
- Member: The Society of Authors
- Fellow: The National Register of Advanced Hypnotherapists
- Fellow and Senior Clinician: The National Council for Hypnotherapy
- Member: International Stress Management Association
- Fellow: Royal Society for the Promotion of Health
- Founder/Chairman: National Register for Psychotherapists and Counsellors (Est. 2011)
Past memberships include:
- Emeritus Fellow: The Hypnotherapy Society
- Emeritus Fellow: The Counselling and Psychotherapy Society
- Member and Committee Member: The International Association of Hypnoanalysts
- Member: The Professional Hypnotherapists Center (Harley Street, W1)
- Member: The National Council of Psychotherapists until the sudden change of management in 2011/2012 at which time I founded the NRPC